Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Who Needs Warm Milk

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Some Must Watch While Some Must Sleep
Season 2, Episode 16


I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I watch Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles for stories about the impending apocalypse and the take over of SkyNet. I'd like the stories in a series called TERMINATOR to involve actual terminators as opposed to silly dream-terminators. You know what, I'd just like the series to be GOOD. Which, sadly, it hasn't been in a really long time. I'm not asking for GREAT, that ship sailed long before the series started(the writers have never really been as well versed in Terminator mythology as most fanboys are, myself included). I just want the show to be about killer robots from the future and John Connor kicking ass. Is that so hard to ask for? Apparently so, because for the fourth episode in a row we've be witness the most boring stories that I've seen in a long time.




Look, I know Sarah Connor's name is in the title of the show, but
for crying out loud so is the word Terminator. Sarah Connor as played by Lena Heady is boring and morose. I know Heady can be a good actress and I'm not laying the blame on her solely but she can't carry this show. She shouldn't have to! Thomas Dekker, Summer Glau, Richard T. Jones are all good enough actors. Hell, Brian Austin Green owns every scene he is in. Yeah, I know, I was shocked too. But, it's true, Brian Austin Green is one of the most compelling things about this program. Yet here we are with another episode that is 95% Sarah Connor and the only other characters we see are John and Cameron.

Weaver, Ellison and John Henry are fast becoming important and intriguing components of the series, yet they are completely ignored in this story. I want to see more of them. God help me, Shirley Manson is a horrible actress, but her T-1000 is such a compelling an fascinating figure. Leaving these characters out of the story is downright criminal.

There has got to be some irony in the fact that Sarah's story revolved around her having insomnia and going to a sleep clinic. I've got a sure fire way to cure that insomnia, WATCH THIS EPISODE! We flitted between Sarah trying to sleep and Sarah being held captive by Ed Winston, who we were led to believe was dead...since we saw sarah, ya know, kill him. The big question was which of these stories was bogus, and the even bigger question is: why do we care? Seriously, on one hand we have Sarah in a sleep clinic in a plot that totally rips off at least TWO Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes and on the other hand we have Sarah facing Mr. Should-Be-Dead. I mean, we wasted an hour last week attending this dude's funeral, it just felt like a slight to have him alive and well(despite being shot by Sarah in the fall finale) with absolutely no explanation.


So, to summarize: Television program about killer robots from the future - killer future robots = a sleepy Billy. I've said it before and I'll say it again here. Kiss this show goodbye, because it's not coming back for another season. Thank you, Josh Friedman. You shat all over War of the Worlds and you've done shat on Terminator. What's next? Robbing my house and killing my kitty cat? I love that cat.




0 Billy's cats out of 5


Ain't he a cutie?

No comments:

Post a Comment