Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gus's Billy's Favorite Retro Games (Part 4 of 200)

Originally written 9/4/06
Posted here for completion


Hey everybody, it's me, Gus. The second most famous groundhog in Pennsylvania!

I knocked Billy out--er, I mean, I asked Billy if I could talk about my favorite retro game! So just what is my favorite game of all time? Well, it just so happens that it's a game that I not only LOVE but a game that I was also IN! Well...in Japan, anyway.

So what game is it?




That's right, BAD DUDES! Yay!

So back in the 80s I wasn't as secure with my position as the second most famous groundhog in PA...No, I have to admit that I was very jealous of my big brother, Phil.










Attention hogging son of a bi-- er, uh, I mean...So, I received an offer from Data East to star in one of their upcoming games. This was IT, my opportunity to finally become more famous than my brother.

Their original offer was for me to star in a game called the Fraptabulous Games of Groundhog Gus. It was meant to be a lighthearted action-platformer and it was just ALL WRONG! If I was to become more famous than Phil I would have to do two things: 1. I would have to move away from my hometown of Punxsutawney and 2. I would have to insist on me starring in a violence action-beat 'em up.

It didn't take much coaxing, apparently violent video games were much popular back in the 80s. So the result was Bad Dudes: Starring Gus Groundhog. It released in Japan to much critical acclaim.

So just as it came time for my games triumphant release on the American shores, Data East calls me and says that the Gus version of Bad Dudes is just too quirky for American audiences and the bigwigs chose to switch me with some generic dude.

Needless to say...I was less than pleased.

But now, I'm the Spokeshog for the Pennsylvania Lottery and I'm OK with being the second most famous groundhog in Pennsylvania. Of course it took seventeen years of therapy and a lucrative television sponsorship deal for that to happen, but that's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment